Brother when you weep for me

Remember that it was meant to be

Lay me down and when you leave

Remember I'll be 
at your sleeve

In every dark and choking hall

I'll be there as you slowly crawl

On every roof in driving snow

I'll hold your coat and you will know

In cellars hot with searing heat

At windows where a gate you meet

In closets where young children
You know I'll be there at your

The house from which I now

Is overstaffed with heroes


Men who answered
 one last bell

Did the job and did it well

As firemen we understand

That death's a card dealt in our hand

A card we hope we never play

But one we hold there anyway

That card is something we ignore

As we crawl across a weakened floor

For we know that we're the only

For anyone that might be

So remember as you wipe your

The joy I knew throughout the

As I did the job I loved to do

I pray that thought will see

you, through

                                 - Unknown

FF. Andrew J. Kerins

Of Truck 2, was killed January 2, 1892, at the Booth Mfg. fire on Lazelle St. N. of Gay St.

Lt. William McLaughlin

Of Hook & Ladder 1, located at Engine House 3, was killed September 14, 1892, when he was thrown from a telegraph pole on N. High St. in front of Union Depot while trying to protect the telegraph lines from derrick guys.

Capt. Louis Lang

Of Engine 3, died March 3, 1893, from consumption contracted from exposure at the Metropolitan Opera House and Philadelphia Building Fire at Rich and High Streets on January 5, 1892. He was the first firefighter to draw a pension check. He only received one check for $20.00 because of his death.

Capt. Dan S. Lewis

Of Hook & Ladder 2, was killed April 26, 1903, at a General Alarm Fire which engulfed the Union Clothing Co., Botts Bros., Kirbys and the Brunson Bldg. when he was buried under falling walls. Veteran of 22 years.
Captain Daniel S. Lewis died in the line of duty while fighting a fire at the Brunson and Union clothing company located at 131 North High St. This building was just adjacent to what is now the Elevator Club in downtown Columbus. Captain Lewis of Engine 11 (he was detailed for the day) was battling one of the biggest fires that downtown Columbus had ever experienced when he ordered two of his firefighters to go pull more hose. Just then the walls collapsed killing Captain Lewis instantly, but spared the lives of the two firefighters he had just sent away. 

At the time of his death Captain Lewis was one of the oldest firemen in the city being 48 years old, and almost eligible to retire with 22 years of service when he died. He was a carriage painter before becoming a firefighter and he painted all of the of the cities apparatus for many years. He was one of at least five firefighters that died in the line of duty while responding to an alarm at what Columbus firemen called the "Hoodooed Box 313" at the corner of High and Long St. The most recent was Firefighter John Nance who died July 25th, 1987 at 151 North High st. 
It been said that the Elevator Club in downtown Columbus is haunted by a ghost dressed as a fireman. Captain Lewis left behind a wife Mrs. Kate Lewis but no children. Newspapers from that time called upon the citizen of Columbus to raise enough money to pay the mortgage of their little house at 279 Dakota Ave where his widow resided.
Captain Lewis is buried at the Greenlawn Cemetery and his large tombstone that is easy to spot and well deserved for this hero who as it reads "Gave his life to the city". Rest in peace Captain.
Information; courtesy of Chris Klein

Capt. Fred Stehle

Of Engine 2 died November 16, 1923, from injuries received on November 11, 1923, at Walnut and Zettler Alleys when he was thrown from a 30' ladder. Veteran of 32 years.

Capt. Otto Ignatz

Of 3 Pump was killed February 19, 1936, when a wall collapsed on him at the Odd Fellows Temple fire at Rich and High Sts. Veteran of 11 years.

FF. John Nance
Firefighter John W. Nance Killed in the Line Of Duty on July 25, 1987.  
Columbus Firefighter for more than 27 years, at the age of 51, John had planned to retire in early 1988, to his 82 arce farm in Licking County, Ohio with his Loving wife Linda Nance. 

On Saturady July 25, 1987 (3-Unit),F.F. John Nance  was the Acting Officer on Fire Engine No. 3. An alarm was reported at the Mithoff Building located at 151 N. High St. in downtown Columbus, Ohio. At 10:40 Assistant Chief Mills upgraded the assignment to a working 2nd alarm. This added more Firefighting Companies. The Companies were fighting the fire with heavy smoke conditions. Firefighter Nance fell into the burning basement thought a hole burnt into the store floor. Ladders and ropes were lowered into the floor opening and many other rescue atttempts were made to save Firefighter John W. Nance. This was determined an arson fire and John's death was ruled to be a murder. 

Read the Columbus Monthly article from December 1987,

            "The Murder of John Nance"

Website Builder